Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Week 9: Exercise #20 Discover YouTube

I have heard YouTube is very popular among young people and many bad things about it. Therefore, I never have the real interest to explore what on earth is YouTub and why it is so loved by many people.

Look at the “mission statement” that I took from YouTube. I highlight the important words below.
  • YouTube is a way to get your videos to the people who matter to you.
  • With YouTube you can:• Upload, tag and share your videos worldwide
  • Browse thousands of original videos uploaded by community members
  • Find, join and create video groups to connect with people with similar interests
  • Customize your experience with playlists and subscriptions

I kind of understand why it is popular. As I had observed, YouTube at least has these features: broad coverage and influence, free and freedom, a social and fun place. Most of all, the user has total control of what he wants to post. There is no wonder it is popular for the young generation who wants to be in the driver seat.

Personally I see the educational value of YouTube is minimum; however, I find out its tagging feature is wonderful. It is very easy for me to find the videos that I want to see and avoid those that I dislike. Maybe the similar concept of tagging can comprehensively apply to the library’s website someday. Therefore, the website of the library is more user friendly.

Here is the funny library video that I like and want to share with you. I laughed when I watched it, how about you?



No comments: